Carrot cake is my absolute favourite cake of all time. It always seems like a bit of a hassle to make as there is much more to it than a traditional sponge; but this one is definitely worth the effort and perfect with a cup of tea.
For the icing
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup walnuts
1. Preheat the over to 180oc and grease a cake tin around 20cm in diameter with butter and sprinkle of flour, or alternatively you can pop some grease proof paper in.
2. In a large bowl beat the eggs and add in sugar and oil and mix together.
3. Using a sieve add the flour, cinnamon and ginger and then fold the mixture to combine the liquid and dry ingredients well.
4. Finley grate the carrots, apple and the orange skin to get the zest and add to mixture with sultanas and crushed walnuts and stir through.
5. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden. Insert a skewer and if it comes out clean remove the cake from the over, if it still has mixture on simply place foil over the cake so the top does not burn and continue to bake, checking every five minutes.
6. Leave it to cool for 10 minutes before tipping out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, for the icing, beat the butter, icing sugar and orange zest until smooth then slowly combine the cream cheese.
8. Once the cake is cooled spread over the cream cheese icing and top with walnuts and more orange zest.